Author Topic: Whining sound  (Read 11500 times)

Offline Dec7f

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
  • Car Color: Black
Whining sound
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:48 PM »
Hi..
Anyone encountered whining sounds when car drove for awhile then stop gear in "D" (Ex alight pax/ red light) but when put to neutral, continue driving, sound's gone..
What's the pro?
Is the gear box or coupling gone?  :confused1:

Offline tritonrox

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
  • Car Color: Blue
Re: Whining sound
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:41:57 PM »
I recently have this issue in my Latio Premium 1.5 CVT. Sent my car to Tan Chong to check and they told me it's a gearbox bearing issue. Since my car is a 2009 car, the warranty is expired. So they proposed me to change the gearbox entirely and it would cost a bomb ($10k +). I didn't take the offer, and still researching on the gearbox issue. Seems like it's a common issue with CVT gearbox.

My gearbox is still fine and the whining sound is still soft not to affect the ride. The Tan Chong guy said that it can still last for another year until then I can always choose to repair it or replace it.

KIV for now.

Offline quirky

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
Does the sound go off when the air-con is switched off?
You could switch off the radio, and air-con, and listen out for the sound.

Offline jonpaul0104

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
I recently have this issue in my Latio Premium 1.5 CVT. Sent my car to Tan Chong to check and they told me it's a gearbox bearing issue. Since my car is a 2009 car, the warranty is expired. So they proposed me to change the gearbox entirely and it would cost a bomb ($10k +). I didn't take the offer, and still researching on the gearbox issue. Seems like it's a common issue with CVT gearbox.

My gearbox is still fine and the whining sound is still soft not to affect the ride. The Tan Chong guy said that it can still last for another year until then I can always choose to repair it or replace it.

KIV for now.

I think we should write a petition to TCM & Nissan for the reliability of the CVT gearbox. So many owners facing potential gearbox failure after 3yrs warranty...in the US, Nissan warrantied the CVT gearbox for 10yrs.....

Offline tritonrox

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »
Does the sound go off when the air-con is switched off?
You could switch off the radio, and air-con, and listen out for the sound.

The sound will be much noticeable when radio and air-on is switched offf. That's how I tested with TCM the other day. And the sound only comes out when the car is moving. That's how TCM confirmed that it's a gearbox bearing issue.

Honestly, for a car that only runs about 50K in 4 years, I'm feeling quite bitter about the reliability of the CVT gearbox.

I think we should write a petition to TCM & Nissan for the reliability of the CVT gearbox. So many owners facing potential gearbox failure after 3yrs warranty...in the US, Nissan warrantied the CVT gearbox for 10yrs.....

I think we should do a petition, many bros here have similar issue and had to pay such a big sum of money to fix a substandard nissan product. This is not right.

Offline jonpaul0104

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »
The sound will be much noticeable when radio and air-on is switched offf. That's how I tested with TCM the other day. And the sound only comes out when the car is moving. That's how TCM confirmed that it's a gearbox bearing issue.

Honestly, for a car that only runs about 50K in 4 years, I'm feeling quite bitter about the reliability of the CVT gearbox.

I think we should do a petition, many bros here have similar issue and had to pay such a big sum of money to fix a substandard nissan product. This is not right.

the CVT extended warranty in USA

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/CVT/index.php?menu=8

Offline valles

• Idling (800 rpm)
  • Car Color: White
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »

Mind to share what is TCM recommendation on this whinning noise?

Offline tritonrox

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
Mind to share what is TCM recommendation on this whinning noise?

TCM recommended me to go to Toa Payoh TCM Branch Workshop for further diagnosis and obtain quotation from them. The reason is that only Toa Payoh has the transmission experts in their workshop to give me more professional advice.

Generally, according to the service adviser from the TCM service centre I went to, they recommend replacement of the gearbox.

Offline pizzaboy

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »
Dats y 1 of è salesman advise his customers to go for 4AT than CVT when buyin cars though the latter gives a smoother gear shift.

Offline wooks

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »
Yap, 4AT, pickup is good as well as for overtaking on expressway. :smile:

Offline MrHo

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »
can we change a cvt gearbox to 4AT ??

Offline mindman

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
can we change a cvt gearbox to 4AT ??

don;t think so

Offline fickle

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
i had this sound on my 2008 cvt from day 1....   seems its like a cvt characteristic....   didn't bother about it and it didn't give up on me either.  Still working fine today after 134000km....  :)

Offline no_worries

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
  • Car Color: GOLD
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
Might be true. That is why some petrol heads don't like this form of transmission.

I test drove the B17 Slphy at Tam Cheong last Sat, it is very quiet, but the soft CVT hum hum sound is still a little audible.

Interestingly, the CVT fluid used in the B17 is NS-3, which according to the SE, is the much improved version, i.e. quieter and fuel efficient compared to ours using NS-2 fluid.

Cheers ;D

Offline fickle

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
can the older latios use ns3 ?

Offline JusTiEN

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 03:16:33 AM »
my 4AT also had this problem, mechnical whirring noise when heavy accerlation.
then recently had a gearbox prob. cant engage reverse.

went to tan cheong and do. $4k.

in the end the noise is still there. but there is 1 year tan cheong warranty so no hurries.

Offline cyberkit

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:35 AM »
I had this problem and left it until about 2 years after sound came on, got really loud. Finally gearbox conk out. I got Autoaid at Toh guan to supply a used one. Cost about $2400 all in. Call Eric from Autoaid 6795 9618. He can advise. I think Kelvin also can do but I stay nearer Toh Guan.

Offline valles

• Idling (800 rpm)
  • Car Color: White
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 07:32:13 AM »
Yours a CVT or AT?

I had this problem and left it until about 2 years after sound came on, got really loud. Finally gearbox conk out. I got Autoaid at Toh guan to supply a used one. Cost about $2400 all in. Call Eric from Autoaid 6795 9618. He can advise. I think Kelvin also can do but I stay nearer Toh Guan.