Author Topic: Changing to netural often (latio CVT - 2008 MODEL)  (Read 4546 times)

Offline SC_New

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
Changing to netural often (latio CVT - 2008 MODEL)
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »
I have been changing to neutral gear whenever there is an opportunity e.g traffic lights. Yesterday a colleague remarked that doing so often is detrimental to the gear box and should be avoided as the car is over 5 years old now.  Is this true?   (I have heel pain and the short rest gives a lot of relief) . Thanks in advance.

Offline Enzoni

• Low End (2000 rpm)
Re: Changing to netural often (latio CVT - 2008 MODEL)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
around $3k for a recon CVT gearbox or relief for your painful heel, your call.

if you like to switch gear, you should get a manual car not auto or CVT ones.

Offline Jazz

• Max Torque (4400 rpm)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
You can use your left foot to step on the brake.

Offline latiosnow

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
I have been changing to neutral gear whenever there is an opportunity e.g traffic lights. Yesterday a colleague remarked that doing so often is detrimental to the gear box and should be avoided as the car is over 5 years old now.  Is this true?   (I have heel pain and the short rest gives a lot of relief) . Thanks in advance.

I also have this bad habit too and have been doing so since day 1 (Mar 2006) on my Latio. I have yet to encounter any problem (touchwood) on my gearbox (117,000km). My thinking (wrong to most drivers) is that if we keep holding (stepping) onto the brake during stationary (waiting at traffic lights or queuing), I felt that the gears are grinding (automatic gear) as it like constantly engaging a lower gear to move off. By placing the gear in "N", it's like relieving the grinding effects. 

Offline pizzaboy

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
In dat case a 6MT car is more suitable... we choose auto is bcoz of è comfort & partly bein lazy too, can u imagine if caught in a heavy jam ten gotta keep shiftin btw D and N wouldn't it b a chore for ü  :confused1:

Offline CamholicX

• Redline (6000 rpm)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
I believe it won't hurt the gear box with sufficient cvt great oil.

It is advise to switch off engine if waiting is more than 30sec , isn't that worse