Author Topic: gear change getting stiff  (Read 10697 times)

Offline joyrob

• Low End (2000 rpm)
gear change getting stiff
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:15:01 AM »
hi all..

lately, i found that to change gear from P to D is getting stiffer. My model is the 4AT one. is it something wrong with the gearbox, or just that the ATF need to change ? my mileage is 35000, about 5k more to go b4 the ATF change..

Offline joyrob

• Low End (2000 rpm)
Re: gear change getting stiff
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:38:46 PM »
to add on, usually the gear change stiff happens during morning start up... when driven for quite a long while, it will be quite ok.. so is it a normal syndrome ??

Offline fineLatio

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
same. TCM will put oil.

Offline wooks

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:02:15 AM »
My exactly same problem, during warm up time, listened n heard constant "whistling".  Open up the bonet, tried to hear from the engine, but no sound.  But when you seat inside the car you can hear it. This sound occurred when I shift to "D" mode.  Togther with the shifting of P to D stiffness, I went back to TCM and insisted something is wrong.  The senior tester went for testing with me and I made him listen to the sound.  He commented is the firing of petrol towards the engine compartment is not constant.  Lastly, the change the whole gear and both the problem solved.  My shifting of gear is very smooth. ;D

HumbleCar

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:45:58 AM »
My exactly same problem, during warm up time, listened n heard constant "whistling".  Open up the bonet, tried to hear from the engine, but no sound.  But when you seat inside the car you can hear it. This sound occurred when I shift to "D" mode.  Togther with the shifting of P to D stiffness, I went back to TCM and insisted something is wrong.  The senior tester went for testing with me and I made him listen to the sound.  He commented is the firing of petrol towards the engine compartment is not constant.  Lastly, the change the whole gear and both the problem solved.  My shifting of gear is very smooth. ;D

Hi Bro, change the whole gear cost how much?  Thanks.

Offline wooks

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »
Errr..Gear box changed under warranty.  I dun no it cost how much.  But colleague driving Mishibishi,cvt, changed cost 10K+.  So 4 AT should be cheaper probably 7 to 8K. just a guess.

Offline Jazz

• Max Torque (4400 rpm)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »
Errr..Gear box changed under warranty.  I dun no it cost how much.  But colleague driving Mishibishi,cvt, changed cost 10K+.  So 4 AT should be cheaper probably 7 to 8K. just a guess.

Confirmed your colleague kena chopped. If CVT gear box cost $10K, the rest of the car is worthless ?  :(

HumbleCar

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »

Wah! So ex.

Offline Symbolic

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »
Hi Bro Joyrob,

So did u insist TCM to change your gearbox ? Hmm, I had the same experience right after 1 week and hi-lited to TCM- they claimed it is normal  :out:, especially early morning during cold start and ocaasionally even after parking......now close to 5k

Any kind Lation Bro/sis care to share experience and advise ?

Symbolic

Offline joyrob

• Low End (2000 rpm)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 03:18:29 PM »
went TCM today.. they say the stiff gear change during engine start is normal.. is the gear shift lock mechanism at work, and it only happens with i switch on the engine.. normal drving shuold be fine..

then they just do some lubrication.. apparantly there is not much diff..

Offline Symbolic

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »
Yeah, same here.

I recalled there was once I wen to TCM TP, make noise then there was 1 senior SE I tink it is Razib, he best - " pattern liao liao " , teach me press the black button,before start car in the morning  :out: :out:

I tink will make noise again in 5k servicing, wori will spoil or wear out the gear if everytime use force to engage " D " ......

Offline fineLatio

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
come on guys, why make a big fuss over it? If the SE said it's OK then rest assured lor. Why bang table & try to get free replacement of parts for nothing? If u really got the chance to have parts replaced , then that should be sad cos u got a lemon.

Offline wooks

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:57:14 PM »
Those who have the same problem should feel it. And when u push the gear to D, a very hard jerk of engaged mode...Drivers will feel uneasy.  Please this is not how a new car should be.  Initially, the mechanics solved the problem by taking out to oil/lubrications and ended up the made my gear so loose that I insisted to compare it with the showroom car and their gear is easy to engage and is not loose.  They just brush me off and I repeated my conditions to the service manager and invited their senior mechanics to do the comparison.  Finally, they decided to submit my case to TCM for the replacement of the whole gear box. :yehyeh:
To my surprised :w00t:, when they do the replacement I insisted to see my gear knob.  The knob has pins below it and it was inserted into the gear for engagement.  This pins were bent and has caused further problem of loose engagement.  Therefore,with out a second word the service manager straight told the mechanic to replace it too.

Currently, after replacement of all the parts at the gear, I have no problem on engagement and is smooth to engage, no whistling sound at all. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:12:37 PM by wooks »

Offline hermis

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »
Bro,how long does TCM take to replace your gear box? At wat mileage u replaced? My car is going to hit 5k servicing soon, was wondering will it be better after servicing. Any one have the same difficult problem of shifting from P to D on their new car? :confused1:

Offline Symbolic

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 10:26:26 AM »
Hi Bro Wooks,

Good input and sharing.... :thumbsup:

Get sick of those jerky feeling......will get TCM to do something about it.

Thanks !
Symbolic

Offline wooks

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »
The ordering of the parts need 2 months waiting.  TCM took 2 days to replace and according to TCM need testing after a day of replacements.  Mileage abt 10K replaced.  And on top of that, courtesy car was given.

Jerky movements really degrade the feelings of this car. :mad:  But the days were gone, I'm enjoying the shifting of gears especially for emergency when you are unable to brake in time, the last resort you play with the gear to achieve "engine brake" assisting the stopping time during raining days, I felt safer now with the gear shifting smoothly. ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:12:26 PM by wooks »

Offline ninervictor

• Idling (800 rpm)
  • 9V
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »
My 5k+ latio sports 4AT gear change from P to D is quite hard... and need some force... after driving awhile then ok. I think it was smooth initially when delivered but not now.

so how? can ask TCM to check it out?