Author Topic: small crack on windscreen  (Read 12363 times)

Offline kennytoh

• Idling (800 rpm)
small crack on windscreen
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »
driving as per normal along PIE, suddenly i heard a loud "pa" sound. after i reach my destination, i checked n notice a small crack (ard 1cm) on my windscreen. all i can say, when someone is unlucky..all kind of things oso can happen

im not sure if i should go for a claim on my windscreen since it is covered n will not affect NCD. but excess 100...n not forgetting if i change my windscreen, i hav to get another solar firm for my front windscreen again.

i heard from my frz...small crack will grow bigger as time goes n is very dangerous. n oso the whole windscreen is weaker with that.

please advise what i shd do??

Offline NSman

• High End (5000 rpm)
  • :[踢踏e族]:
Re: small crack on windscreen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:31:21 PM »
Check with this guy, see whether he can help u.

Quote from: 5tian
Need someone to repair your crack windscreen?Come with lifetime guaranteed on the crack they repair money back assured only $45-$55 and door to door service please call Mr ng at HP:90084735 :cheer:

http://eglass.bravehost.com/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:36:16 PM by NSman »
"We, the La-tions of Sillypore,
Pledge ourselves as one United Road-User,
Regardless of Bhp, NA or TurboCharged,
To Build a LTA-less Society,
Based on Modifications and No TP,
So as to Acheive Roadhog Elimination, No ERP and
Automotive Progress for our Nation."

Offline kennytoh

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 11:57:54 PM »
thank alot, will call him tomorrow to check

Check with this guy, see whether he can help u.

Offline NSman

• High End (5000 rpm)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:47:34 PM »
how? you manage to get ur windscreen fit??

have you called him? how is his service??

Offline hwlee

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
  • Honda
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
If the small crack isn't worst yet, can find those Mr. Windscreen to repair it. Must repair is ASAP.
And remember, don't drive your car in warm weather (or under the big hot sun). It will make the crack more.

A new windscreen, around RM650 (included installation) :glare:

Offline nakshire

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
  • I'm a cute boy ok!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
Do get back to us on the windscreen matters. It will be good if we can note his services down. hehe

Offline NSman

• High End (5000 rpm)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »
some insurance co covered windscreen replacement right? you oni have to fork out $100

Offline hwlee

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
  • Honda
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 07:39:39 AM »
My excess for Windscreen is $0. But that time my windscreen hit by a small stone during I driving in Malaysia and under a hot sun. the crack on my windscreen is small at the bottom (and I actually plan to claim after i drive back to malaysia). But due to hot and warm weather, the small crack "extended" from bottom to roof by time. It blocked my view and I think it is dangerous. That's why i know the price of windscreen of our latio available in Malaysia.  :bleh:

Offline SpeedLimit

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 01:59:51 PM »
some insurance co covered windscreen replacement right? you oni have to fork out $100

i change once, $100 is for the film.
depend on your insurance also i think.
mine ntuc, only 2 workshop for replacement.

Offline NSman

• High End (5000 rpm)
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 02:24:37 PM »
i change once, $100 is for the film.
depend on your insurance also i think.
mine ntuc, only 2 workshop for replacement.

What film?? solar film??? Gosh~ who needs insurance co to cover the film?? it should be whole windscreen replacement, not film...

Offline SpeedLimit

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
What film?? solar film??? Gosh~ who needs insurance co to cover the film?? it should be whole windscreen replacement, not film...

ya, insurance co dun cover solar film
new windscreen dun have film mah, so need to top up $ for the film.
if u dun need the solar film, then need not pay $

trenat

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »
appreciate if anyone can offer a review on Mr Ng's service. just noticed a small crack and would like to get it fixed if possible. thanks!

Offline nymin9

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »
just claim insurance won;t affect ncd and peace of mind. the crack will get bigger no matter how well it is fixed up. btw, my sa told me our windscreen double layered. anyone can confirm?
To Lead is to Serve!!!!

Offline Ying

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »
I changed mine once under NTUC insurance $0 excess.

They are two type of Windscree, with or withoud the sunshade on the top part. The workshop guy told me our windscreen is 3 layer glued together so when it crack, the whole windscreen still hold together.

If it crack a little, the temperature (and the pressure) different between cabin and out side will expand the crack.  If water and dirt gets into the crack it will expand too. I had to wait a few "weeks" for the workshop to get the windscreen with sun shade, so I stick something outside windscreen to prevent water/dirt gets into the crack and wind down the window a bit while waiting for parts. The crack line is about 5cm and did not expand much after a few weeks. If only I can go to any workshop, I can get it fixed in days.

$0 excess  ;D ;D NTUC increse my premium the next year enough to pay for the windscreen! so I changed to another insurance company. 

trenat

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »
thanks nymin9 and Ying.

@nymin9 not sure about affecting the NCD or not. haven't called up NTUC to check as yet. but of course if it doesn't then definitely makes sense to just change the w/screen

@Ying I didn't know that the sunshade came together with the windscreen. I always thought it was aftermarket. that's good to know that they're able to do everything one shot then I won't worry so much about the sunshade. my only other concern is that the previous owner has all the glass treated by so that it now feels like a permanent rain-x where the rain just falls off the windscreen. (sorry can't remember the exact name on the sticker for the treatment) so I suppose I'll have to get it redone once I change my w/screen  :(

Offline Ying

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »
thanks nymin9 and Ying.

@nymin9 not sure about affecting the NCD or not. haven't called up NTUC to check as yet. but of course if it doesn't then definitely makes sense to just change the w/screen

@Ying I didn't know that the sunshade came together with the windscreen. I always thought it was aftermarket. that's good to know that they're able to do everything one shot then I won't worry so much about the sunshade. my only other concern is that the previous owner has all the glass treated by so that it now feels like a permanent rain-x where the rain just falls off the windscreen. (sorry can't remember the exact name on the sticker for the treatment) so I suppose I'll have to get it redone once I change my w/screen  :(

NTUC, no change of my NCD. Just go to NTUC website and get the 2 workshop tel number, call them to ask for stock and make appointment, a few hours can finish. One is in AMK Ind park 2 the other one is at Sing Ming Rd. My org windscreen have the sunshade so I only ask for the same replacement, is it part of the glass, not sticker type. The clear type is cheaper and more stock, It drag for weeks because the WS want to give me the clear type. Unless you did declare you have solar film on your contract else you have to pay for the new solar film. That one not so important, you can do it anywhere anytime you like.

trenat

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
Ying that's great information! I didn't know that it was that straightforward. Will check with the NTUC website and call the workshop. I believe mine is just a solar film and not part of the glass like yours. wonder if I can get them to change to the one with a sun shade... hmmm...  :tongue_smilie:

trenat

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »
just thought I'd update everyone here that I got my windscreen changed at the AMK workshop easy peasy. =) got the one with a sunshade at the top. of course now its $100 excess so had to pay $107 with GST. just call to make and appointment and it should be straightforward. was told it would be about 2hrs but got done in 30mins!  :thumbsup:

Offline Ying

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
good for you  :thumbsup: I went to the same WS but not a good experience.

Offline kennytoh

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »
sorry guys for the late reply.
I called Mr Ng that time but he's overseas...in the end I also did not follow up.

my crack is quite small n my friend advise me to monitor first.
so far, the crack did not expand and maintain the same...so i decided to leave as it is.

for changing under insurance policy, i think is not worth it especially if there is a $100 excess...not forgetting addition costs for solar film replacement, unless your crack is really huge n need to change asap.