Author Topic: Cvt Gearbox Overhaul by Tan Chong  (Read 15916 times)

Offline wkyap85

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
  • Car Color: warm silver
Cvt Gearbox Overhaul by Tan Chong
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
Is anyone here heard of Tan Chong overhaul latio cvt gearbox service. Cost around $3.5k - 3.8k with 1 year warranty. Has anyone tried before, mine to share?

Offline cyberkit

• Idling (800 rpm)
Re: Cvt Gearbox Overhaul by Tan Chong
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
I was quoted about the same about 2 years back due to my CVT having a whining noise when I slow down. I went to auto aid and they offered recond gear box w 6 mth warranty at about $1800 but advised that since warranty is short, might as well just drive until gear box really got problem before changing. So I KIV the change. After driving about 6 mths, the whining noise started to fade and get softer until not really noticeable but recently the noise is getting loud again it has been almost 2 years.

Offline derrick213

• Idling (800 rpm)
  • Car Color: Black
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
is the noise a major issue that show that the gearbox is faulty?
because i also have this issue, whining noise when slowing down, usually after a long drive, start to hear whining noise at <40kph when stopping.

This is since i got my latio 2 years ago....

Offline ralliart99

• Low End (2000 rpm)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
let me put my 2 cents worth

i did change my gearbox, not overhaul. gotten a used one from japan and imported here

done by one of the workshop, much cheaper than overhaul but i guess its 2 different things altogether

how i know my gearbox gone case ? it sounds like a truck ! truck also not that loud. its like metal hitting each other

if the noise fades aways, its probably not the gearbox issue

Offline cyberkit

• Idling (800 rpm)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
My friend who drives a Ferarri sat in my car and asked me what is that sound. I told him my Latioghini trying to match his Ferrari sound. ;D

Offline Chee

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
  • Car Color: White
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
Dear Lations,

I seldom post online but thought my two-cent worth maybe of use to some of you guys facing the same problem. I have benefited from the posts by other members too.

Few months ago, my 2006 Latio started to have a problem with the reverse gear. The problem had been described by other members in the forum: when I shifted into R, it took a while before the reverse gear was engaged with a jerk. If I shifted to D and immediately shifted back to R, the reverse gear will be engaged smoothly. If I drove for a while, the same problem would happen. At first it was still bearable as the delay was around 2-3 s. When it became more than 10 s, I thought it was time to just pay - both for safety and for the joy of driving. :)

As described by other members, the two main solutions are either overhaul (open up the gearbox, replace damaged parts and assemble back) or change to a second-hand gearbox. Most workshops quoted $2k-$3k for the job with warranty ranging from 1 to 8 months. Tan Chong quoted $3.5k-$4k for overhaul with 1 year warranty. I decided that overhaul is a better option and went to Ellipse Auto Transmission for the job last week. Decided to choose them as they specialize in gear repair (my understanding). Cost $2.2k before GST and comes with 6 months warranty. The tech was  humble and friendly. Nice of him to drive me to take public transport (with my car). The job took 2 full days.

I am very happy with the repair as of now. The car is a lot quieter and responsive. The reverse gear now engages immediately and smoothly. It is a very nice feeling getting the problem solved. I feel that the money spent is worth it - if the repair cost is spread over the 3 years left to drive, it is about $800/year.

Thank you for reading and hope this is useful. :)

Offline jonpaul0104

• Mid Zone (3000 rpm)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:22:52 AM »
Dear Lations,

I seldom post online but thought my two-cent worth maybe of use to some of you guys facing the same problem. I have benefited from the posts by other members too.

Few months ago, my 2006 Latio started to have a problem with the reverse gear. The problem had been described by other members in the forum: when I shifted into R, it took a while before the reverse gear was engaged with a jerk. If I shifted to D and immediately shifted back to R, the reverse gear will be engaged smoothly. If I drove for a while, the same problem would happen. At first it was still bearable as the delay was around 2-3 s. When it became more than 10 s, I thought it was time to just pay - both for safety and for the joy of driving. :)

As described by other members, the two main solutions are either overhaul (open up the gearbox, replace damaged parts and assemble back) or change to a second-hand gearbox. Most workshops quoted $2k-$3k for the job with warranty ranging from 1 to 8 months. Tan Chong quoted $3.5k-$4k for overhaul with 1 year warranty. I decided that overhaul is a better option and went to Ellipse Auto Transmission for the job last week. Decided to choose them as they specialize in gear repair (my understanding). Cost $2.2k before GST and comes with 6 months warranty. The tech was  humble and friendly. Nice of him to drive me to take public transport (with my car). The job took 2 full days.

I am very happy with the repair as of now. The car is a lot quieter and responsive. The reverse gear now engages immediately and smoothly. It is a very nice feeling getting the problem solved. I feel that the money spent is worth it - if the repair cost is spread over the 3 years left to drive, it is about $800/year.

Thank you for reading and hope this is useful. :)

I still feel that Nissan should honour all CVT gearbox for 10yrs like in USA....maybe in Singapore, we do not have much consumer rights unlike in US where you can get sued for almost anything....might as well say car chassis warp due to wear & tear even though it is accident free....

sigh sigh sigh.....