Author Topic: Steering wheel shakes and vibrates at 40kmh and 80kmh  (Read 4382 times)

Offline blue-latio

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
Steering wheel shakes and vibrates at 40kmh and 80kmh
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
Hi,

Have been driving my latio for  6 yrs, the last few weeks, when car hits about 40kmh, steering wheel starts to vibrate and shake , then gets less, but when hit 80kmh or so, again starts to shake. 
gets worse when i apply the brakes, the shaking will follow the speed, as car slows down, the shaking also slow down, feels like there is some wheel dent.
only thing that was done was changed tyres in late nov.  noticed this problem only last few weeks.
Strange is that on cold start (like setting off to work in the morning), the shaking does not happen during the first 5 minutes of the drive.
In fact, about half the time, there is no problem. 
so when i brought the car back to the tyre workshop to complain, we took a test drive but car was normal.

Any one has any idea which part is faulty ?

Offline kelvin

• Commercial Moderator
  • Low End (2000 rpm)
  • Car Color: silver
Re: Steering wheel shakes and vibrates at 40kmh and 80kmh
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
Hi,

Have been driving my latio for  6 yrs, the last few weeks, when car hits about 40kmh, steering wheel starts to vibrate and shake , then gets less, but when hit 80kmh or so, again starts to shake. 
gets worse when i apply the brakes, the shaking will follow the speed, as car slows down, the shaking also slow down, feels like there is some wheel dent.
only thing that was done was changed tyres in late nov.  noticed this problem only last few weeks.
Strange is that on cold start (like setting off to work in the morning), the shaking does not happen during the first 5 minutes of the drive.
In fact, about half the time, there is no problem. 
so when i brought the car back to the tyre workshop to complain, we took a test drive but car was normal.

Any one has any idea which part is faulty ?
Hi bro,when u went back to the tire shop,did they check ur wheel nuts,(tighten enough)
if it's not the wheel nuts not tighten,then it could be ur frt brake caliper jammed already,it'll shake while travelling ,worst when it's hot.

Offline blue-latio

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
no, the mechanic did not even bother , we took a test drive , car was normal, all he did was pump air.
i actually wanted him to remove the wheel to check if it is out of balance but he did not even check the nut tightening.

now i think it could be the brakes like you mentioned.  anyway, also noticed that my FC dropped to all time low, usually i get 12.5 to 13 km/l, now these few weeks, 10.5 to 11 only.  something must be causing some friction.
even at low speed, i can feel some jerk from the tires like the car stuttering.

Offline kelvin

• Commercial Moderator
  • Low End (2000 rpm)
  • Car Color: silver
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
no, the mechanic did not even bother , we took a test drive , car was normal, all he did was pump air.
i actually wanted him to remove the wheel to check if it is out of balance but he did not even check the nut tightening.

now i think it could be the brakes like you mentioned.  anyway, also noticed that my FC dropped to all time low, usually i get 12.5 to 13 km/l, now these few weeks, 10.5 to 11 only.  something must be causing some friction.
even at low speed, i can feel some jerk from the tires like the car stuttering.
Most likely it's the brake jammed already,when it's hot it will bite even harder.that's why ur fc drop.if it's the tyre out of balance,even hot or cold,at a certain speed it'll vibrate.

Offline blue-latio

• Cool Engine (0 rpm)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:45:23 AM »
Kelvin bro,

how long does it take to do this kind of repair job (brake jammed), this week schedule busy, so need to do some planning.

do i have to leave car at workshop whole day ? overnight etc ...?
i've been to your place to get aircon fixed couple months ago, thanks for a good and quick job !.

thanks